No matter how much you agree a sale at, the single most important thing is that it actually completes. Here are five tips to help ensure that ‘Sale Agreed’ board becomes a ‘SOLD’ one.
1. Use a local, recommended solicitor that’s easily contactable. Delays are a sales worst enemy, so ensure you pick the right person to work for you. Avoid panelled solicitors and use Google to do some research on feedback from existing clients.
2. Take responsibility early on. Unfortunately, with so many people to communicate with, it’s easy to lose track of everything. Most estate agents will just leave it to the solicitors once they’ve done their bit, which in most cases, creates massive delays and will put the sale at risk. I will go in to this a little further in another blog post, but the key thing to understand is that if you don’t do it, nobody else will. Visit the forum at www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk and there are a lot of people who will be more than happy to help with any queries. Alternatively email info@mrgreenhomes and someone will be happy to assist.
3. Find out as much information upfront as possible. Get info on your buyers and sellers position, preferred timescale, potential flexibility if there are delays, financial position ref. mortgage, a full check on their chain. This information upfront enables you to properly plan for an exchange and completion date.
4. Chase everything ASAP. A potential one day delay can creep in to a 2 week delay if people stop communicating. Your solicitor and estate agent are being paid very well by you, so they should be on the ball. If they’re not, it’s your responsibility to sort them out.
5. Be prepared to throw a paddy. Some estate agents are only interested in one thing, getting paid! Quite understandably really. Sometimes, the single only way to get through to them is to threaten to pull out. Last resort, but problems tend to vanish when someone threatens to pull out of a sale.
Good luck. Email me with any questions you may have on anything to do with property and I’ll do my best to give you a brutally honest answer.. [email protected]