The front door to a home is so important. As with every purchase there’s always a balance between how it looks, the cost and quality. Ideally it would be a case of paying the lowest price for the best looking door that is made to the highest standards and the latest technology; but how often does that happen?
Personal taste comes in to play, but I think there are some key things to consider. I will at the end put my neck on the line with some pictures of front doors that I really like. You are welcome to tear in to my own personal taste. But if you’re thinking of selling, here are a few key things for choosing that perfect front door.
1. Consider the age of your property. Putting a cheap, composite front door on a character property is going to look pretty odd.
2. Keep the quality in keeping with the rest of your property. If you have a premium home, you’ve got to have a premium front door.
3. Colour. I’m personally all for a splash of colour, but unless you have really good taste, play it safe. Walking through a rather fetching, bright, brave front door in to a house where the decor is really safe doesn’t work.
4. Maybe you could tidy up your existing front door? Getting your existing door finished really well could give a better result than buying a new one.
5. Buy the best door you can afford. It’s not something to scrimp on. A better quality door will look better for longer.