So, you’re thinking of selling your home? *I hope you’re listing it with Mr. Green! 😉
Here are 5 things that estate agents will tell you.
- “We have buyers waiting. We’ll sell this house right away.” This is an easy line to run out when the agency has a 12 week + sole agency contract. One that you simply must sign prior to them bringing round their two dozen buyers.
- Please, please, please be careful when signing in to a contract. I’ve seen a Palmer Snell contract that signed a couple up on the terms that Palmer Snell would earn a percentage of the price the property was listed at, not what it sold at. Funnily enough it was listed seriously bloody high and with a 20 week sole agency tie-in. 20 weeks in order to get the price down whilst guaranteeing a really high fee regardless. Ouch.
- When doing viewings, if the agent hasn’t actually got proper feedback, here are a few things they will tell you. 1. They really like it but need to sell their own. 2. Not the right area. (why the hell did you bring them round?) 3. They’ve got a few more viewings and then they’ll come back to me. 4. They’re thinking about it. 5. Not for them, that’s all they said.
- On valuation “No, you don’t need to do any work at all. The house looks great and I’m confident we’ll still get you top money. Buyers like putting their own stamp on things.” What a load of tosh. Buyers won’t pay top money unless your home is a top money property.
- To buyers “We’ve got loads of viewings on this place so you had better act quickly if you want to get it” The agent forgetting the buyer knows it’s already been on the market for 6 months. No trust.
- Final one to buyers “You can’t view that property until you’ve been financially verified by our mortgage advisor” Lol. I hear this all the time, it’s total garbage. Stand your ground.